Lots of people with cerebral palsy have a difficult time writing due to limitations in muscular function, fine motor control, joint function, and range of flexibility. Fortunately, there are lots of forms of assistive tools and technologies that can help people with cerebral palsy to write with greater ease. These could be broken down into a categories that are few
People with cerebral palsy often struggle with grasping objects that are small and experience hand fatigue and pain when they use traditional writing utensils. Fortunately, there are lots of tools that are affordable are better to grasp, make writing much more comfortable, which help the consumer to safely strengthen their hand muscles. Some situations include:
- Pencil grips ($4.95): Pencil grips are obtainable in various shapes and colors from several vendors. The angle associated with grip and finger guard helps to ensure that the fingers are in the position that is proper minimize hand fatigue.
- NuMuv Grip Aid ($10.95): An addition to any area that is graspable of object such as silverware, writing utensils, toothbrushes, etc. that can give the user greater independence while doing everyday tasks.
- Jumbo GRIP Triangular Pencils ($16.95 for a pack of 12): A transition between grips and regular pencils, these are wider and possess soft little dots to help with grip. They are described as an “ideal companion for children’s first attempts at writing.”
- Coban Wrap ($4.49): could easily be covered with layers around various utensils such as for instance crayons, pens and pencils to provide grip that is extra.
- Bip Grip: Pen & Pencil Grip ($13.99): Plastic material, goes around pens and pencils to ensure they are thicker and easier to know while preventing putting strain on the hand muscles.
- The Pencil Grip CLAW that is writing Pencils and Utensils ($14.78 for a pack of 12): Universal design for righties and lefties with grip stretches to suit any utensils.
- The Heavyweight Pen ($20.95) plus the Heavyweight Pencil ($20.95) both provide stability while writing, and permit the consumer to relax their hand a little without losing your hands on the tool . The ones featured here come with comfort also grips.
- Pencil Weight ($14.95): This serves a similar purpose to heavyweight pens and pencils, but can be used on any writing tool. It might be particularly helpful for individuals who choose to use a number of writing tools (for example, a large set of colored pencils) because it is more cost-effective than buying many heavyweight utensils. It can be utilized alone or perhaps in conjunction along with other pencil grips, and can be used on most coloring tools and instruments for writing.
Assistance With Typing
Typing may also be a challenge if you have fine motor skill impairments, because computer keys are small and will be hard to press. BigKeys LX ($159-179) keyboards are made to ensure each key is larger and as a consequence simpler to press. They likewise have an “assist mode” which will be ideal for those who are struggling to press one or more button at the same time.
Assistance With Postural Stability
Expending hours hunched over a desk to publish may result in bad posture. This is especially true for people with cerebral palsy, that are prone to muscle tightening and postural issues. Moreover, difficulty maintaining stability that is postural end up in poor handwriting. You can find a few things that often helps create a significantly better posture for writing:
- Better Board Slant Board ($16.95) . It offers a tremendously light and collapsible surface that is plastic which will be great for classrooms and travelling. It lies at a 20 degree angle, with clamps for holding paper.
- Classroom Positioner Desk/Stander ($860-890) . That one is much more of an investment. The height can be adjusted to accommodate sitting or standing, with optional support while standing. The angle of the desktop can be changed also.
Many people with cerebral palsy have more difficulties that are severe muscle control, and simple devices to enhance grip, provide stability, or help with posture will never be of much use. However, you can find types of of assistive technology that will let them write without the need for their hands. Listed below are two examples:
- Write: Outloud ($99) . Write: Outloud is a type of talk-to-text technology that can process spoken letter, words, sentences, and paragraphs. It can be used by people who have severe physical disabilities, as well as visual and cognitive impairments which could make writing difficult. There are additionally voice commands that let the user to avoid making use of some type of computer menu when performing things such as inserting a graphic into a document or indenting a paragraph. This program reads aloud since the user writes, and allows for self-correction. Moreover it includes a dictionary that is talking other helpful features.
- EyeComTec (price varies) . EyeComTec devices allow people who are struggling to speak clearly and motor that is lack various other elements of their body to communicate solely through subtle eye movements and blinking. They will have a keyboard that enables an individual to choose characters and complete lines of text. All of their technology is highly customizable.
Individuals with cerebral palsy have a variety that is wide of as it pertains to writing. Many of these could be met with inexpensive devices that could make writing easier and more comfortable. Others might need to invest in types of technology that, though expensive, can drastically change one’s quality of life. A government-sponsored compilation of different types of assistive devices to explore more options, check out ABLEDATA.
The list of products above will probably be only a broad educational resource. We do not endorse vendors that are individual products, or services. We recommend that you read reviews, consult your doctor, or ask other users with their opinions before purchasing an item off this list.
About ABC Law Centers
ABC Law Centers was established to target exclusively on birth injury cases. A “birth injury” is virtually any problems for a baby that occurs right before, during, or after birth. This can include issues such as for instance oxygen deprivation , infection , and trauma . While some children with birth injuries make a complete recovery, others develop disabilities such as cerebral palsy and epilepsy .
Then it constitutes medical malpractice if a birth essay writer injury/subsequent disability could have been prevented with proper care . Settlements from birth injury cases can cover the expense of lifelong treatment, care, along with other resources that are crucial.
If you were to think you may have a birth injury case for your child, please contact us right now to find out more. We are very happy to speak to you free of any obligation or charge. In reality, clients pay nothing throughout the entire process that is legal we win.
Free Case Review | Available 24/7 | No Fee Until We Win